Monday, February 1, 2010

Session 3 Guest Speaker

I consider myself to have a limited knowledge when it comes to instructional technology. One of the reasons I chose to get my masters in this field was to broaden my knowledge about this field, as I am the "so called" expert at my school.

I was frantically trying to take notes while he was talking. He was a wealth of information when it came to elearning. Some of the points that I found interesting are listed below.

1. It was interesting to hear about how the department came about and how it operates within the university. It was also encouraging to hear that we selected a college that is one of the front runners in this field with it's wide variety of support and application.

2. The biggest "wow" for me was the US Department of Education study that said blended classes are getting better result than face to face. I can definately see the advantages of the on line classes, as you can do it at your "leisure". Also, he mentioned that students think about course content more when participating in on line classes versus face to face, and I guess I'm sitting here being example #1 of that! The communication among peers is a great exmple, and our blogs are a perfect example of constant communication, wether it's one way or two way.

3. I liked how he mentioned that they use the professors as trailblazers and embrace new technology. It sounds like a good working relationship within the university. I believe as trainers, are ultimate goal is to empower our teachers/ students and not have them depend on the office to be there to help all the time, but rather to use them as a crutch.

4. Blew me away that 1 in 4 students take online classes. I guess since I last attended college (before the internet) this has taken off. I just never realized how much this has taken off.

5. I was glad someone brought up the point about voice capability of blackboard. I look forward to seeing this work.

I enjoyed very much hearing the presentation. I feel I will learn more from my fellow classmates than I could in any face to face class. Everyone asked very good questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment