Saturday, March 13, 2010

Maintaining Student Engagement and Motivation

Maintaining Student Engagement and Motivation

Some very interesting points brought out by Dr. Newberry on our Talkshoe session the other day. Having taken a few classes from Dr. Newberry, I can now understand his thinking when laying out his on-line classes. Probably the best resource we have for designing our own is from the classes we have taken from him.

It is nice seeing the course outline right away on blackboard. I appreciate how each class is given an assignment and an objective and we know going into the assignment, what our expectations are. The orientation at the beginning is a must for laying out the course objectives, expectations, and to ensure that all students are logging in right away to the course material.

I have found in the past that I am reluctant to initiate communication with a professor, but by sending the emails to us on a weekly basis, Dr. Newberry is eliminating the awkwardness of it. I look forward to the weekly emails. They are a great motivator and a reminder. Taking on-line classes, I find I can get a little off task during a busy, hectic week (Even as I am typing this in an Auckland Hotel lobby)

The Social presence created by a simple greeting with each students name gives the class a more personal feel, even though there is never, or rarely any face to face communication. (Where was the pizza meeting?)

I hope to model my future project on the examples that Dr. Newberry has presented to us over the past semesters. The presentation made me reflect on all the ways that we communicate and made me look deeper into why certain things are done in certain ways.

6 comments:

  1. I agree with you about the modeling of how to set up a class like Dr. Newberry does. The outline is very clear about what the projects are and when they are due. It allows you to plan your week. The weekly Emails also help keep you on track and give you the confidence needed to complete the course. Sounds really good to be in an Auckland Hotel Lobby. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to say ditto! I agree that the weekly e-mails area great way to link students to instructors and break the barrier of communication that often occurs. I hope you're having fun! Only one assignment left.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only thing I would have wanted in this course is more notice about the synchronous sessions. To make 6pm I needed to stay at work since I'm rarely home by 6... The weekly emails make it easy to push reply and ask a question or make a comment. It's also been an easy way to make sure that all your assignments have been recorded and you understand your grade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the weekly emails are just right. Looking forward to Mondays, recieving a grade and or feedback is cool. Dr.Newberry doesn't overwhelm us with emails everyday. That could be a little crazy considering my school principal sends about 1 email every hour of the day..lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Scott...have a great trip. Your vacation serves as a great example of how online classes are better for people who want to do the work on their own time or when they can. The online classes were awkward at first but now I like the fact that I can work on this at home after being at my daughter's volleyball tourney all day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi
    i like the way the you explain your experiance with online course with doctor new berry. and i think that when doctor newberry send us a weekly e mail is show how doctor new berry car about his student

    thank you
    amal alsubki

    ReplyDelete