Sunday, April 12, 2009

My Initial Thoughts about my Design and Development Project

My idea popped into my head a couple of years ago when I was serving on our school's MODEL Team.  This is our school discipline program that teaches students and parents how to behave and "models" expectations to the students on a daily basis.  The problem was getting parents to participate and buy in.  Last quarter, Dr. Newberry gave an example of a project, and it mirrored an idea that I was contemplating.  Schools constantly send notes home, but how many of our parents take the time to read them, or even have the ability to read or understand them.  
I am hoping to put an informative DVD together for all parents to be able to view during the first month of school.  It will introduce the teachers, administration, and office staff.  It will describe homework expectations, programs offered at our school, as well as who to contact for any problems ranging from homework help to attendance issues.  We have such a variety of our programs at our school.  I hope this DVD can help ease parents intimidation level when it comes to helping their child's educational potential.
I look forward to the process, but at the same time am very intimidated by the number of assignments that our coming to head this quarter.  

As Mark said in his blog,  www.hesperiatech.com/blog/ , it's weird knowing the end is near, but looking at my timeline, I'm under 2 years away.  I'm excited and nervous and wonder how I can get all the work done I expect from myself, while still juggling work and my family! Kids leave you alone at home until you sit down and start doing your work! :)

4 comments:

  1. Sounds good. I am actually doing something very similar to this. We have this awful parent handbook that parents have to read at the beginning of each school year. I know they don't read it and they just sign the paper saying they did. I was also thinking of putting this into a digital format (not sure if I want to do DVD, Internet, or both). When you start looking for literature, let me know if you find any good articles. I'm sure it will relate to my topic also. If I find anything, I will let you know. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog looks great! Had some trouble with wordpress, huh? I like your thesis idea, I think it will help the parents greatly to know the behavior expectations right in the beginning of the school year. I imagine it will help prevent any conflicts with parents who may try to "back up" their kids' behavior :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Kids leave you alone at home until you sit down and start doing your work!"

    I know the feeling. I think kids wait to ask you questions when you're at the height of your work flow :-). While my three look to be a tad older than yours, the maxim still seems to apply.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your idea for your thesis project. It is time to start thinking about analysis activities that will help you determine some important characteristics of your project. This will help you when you start your literature review, and of course the pre-thesis.

    Brian

    ReplyDelete